Saturday, April 20, 2013

Test Pattern

Karen , of Sew Karenly Created, featured a kit for her pattern "Maritime Beauty", and I just couldn't resist. It was in lovely shades of purple, and the look of it was wonderful. I didn't even think about it, I just clicked the link and bought the kit.

Now given that I haven't done any paper piecing since I took a class about 5 years ago, and I haven't done much curved piecing, I have to wonder why I would decide to do this. I think it was because the size of the project looked like I might be able to complete it.

I plan to take the kit with me, next week, when I go away on retreat with my quilting friends. I thought that today might be a good day to make a test block, with some scarps, before I cut into the lovely fabric.

I was excited to discover that I have not forgotten how to paper piece. I cut my scraps carefully, so that I didn't have any pieces that didn't cover. Karen's pattern is very precise, so the curved piecing goes together beautifully. I was so pleased with the result, that I immediately turned it into a mug mat.





The binding has multiple seams, because I was using up the last of that fabric. I think, for a first try, it will do nicely. Now to cut the fabric from the kit!

Karen has her hard working assistant, Polly, helping with all her projects, so I put Polly on the back of my mug mat.

2 comments:

  1. Kate, I love it - especially the backing! Your spikes show up so nicely on the black fabric, and your quilting just pops. I had never thought to do a mug mat, but I think my many orphan NYB's may find themselves bound and repurposed to this end.I am looking with a critical eye at your points and they are all perfect - way to go :) I am off to show Polly what you made. Can't wait to see what you do next weekend. My thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, perfect points, and the colour superb.great idea for a bug rug,oops!!!, that was meant to be "mug mat, what a great project for a retreat . Cheers from Jean.

    ReplyDelete