Friday, June 23, 2017

Prairie Girl

I was surprised when someone noticed that I had been missing for a week. I took a trip.

Before I left, I made myself a new bag. I actually made it in about 3 days, around getting ready for the trip


This is Prairie Girl by Emmaline Bags.

I saw this fabric on the Mad About Patchwork website and knew I needed it.  It is part of the Maker Maker line and it is a cotton linen blend, perfect for this bag. Luckily, I managed to get to the store before it sold out, because it sold out quickly.

When I brought it into my sewing room, another fabric that had been resting there for awhile, stuck its hand up and declared it to be the perfect lining. I agreed.


Pink paisley cats just seem to make the lining pop. Exactly what I was looking for. The front pocket served as my wallet, lightening my load.


It also has two large inner sections, that are big enough to stow my tablet, phone, just about everything I needed in transit. Add to that a cross body strap for running between flights, and it becomes the ideal travel companion.

And, because of the name, I felt it was necessary to take its picture, in Calgary airport. It is a prairie girl, after all.


Calgary was actually just a layover, on the way to Victoria.

This was a working trip, so my view of that lovely city was kind of limited.


The mountains in Washington, as seen from the overpass over the Pat Bay Highway.


A beautiful dogwood tree, in full bloom near the Starbucks we frequented.


The "flowers" of the dogwood, British Columbia's provincial flower.




Monday, June 5, 2017

Two Timing Tote Times Three

I seem to be obsessed with making Two Timing Totes.

I made one last year in red.

Then, I made one in green.

So, yesterday, I finished another. This one is in an assortment of colours.


I am calling it the "Going to Nana's Bag", and it has lots of room for a little boy to bring his stuff when he comes to visit.

Pockets, on the front, back, and sides.


The side pockets are elasticized.


Six pockets on the inside make for a grand total of ten pockets.


A zipper closes the top to keep everything secure.

This is the first one I made in home dec fabric. I had a couple of problems with the thickness.


I ripped out the top stitching to get rid of this pucker in the lining, and it puckered again. I decided that it just wanted to stay that way, so I gave up.

The bag is big enough to hold the actual baby, so I think it should get a lot of use.

Meanwhile, my owl shawl now has heads on the owls, with cute blue eyes.


They are looking a bit cross eyed at the moment. I am hoping blocking will fix that.